Monday 9 October 2017

Che fifty years on


Everyone can agree he had a impact. Che was the symbol of revolution, made iconic by a photograph. There are few good guys, leaders universally break more eggs than MacDonald. In summary he was widely admired.

Mirror in my house
Jesse Ventura, wrestler, politician and TV host

…You don’t see Fidel’s picture on the side of the most massive building in downtown Havana. You see Che Guevara’s.

Che is a very interesting individual to read about. I respect him because, as much as I oppose communism, Che believed in it with the same fervor that I have for capitalism. I respect the fact that he would die for his convictions. How did a man as bright as Che develop the hatred for the United States and all that we stood for? I’ve eliminated jealousy as a reason. He was a medical doctor, a healer. It clearly had to be that he saw the results of what we did to other countries, in the name of freedom and capitalism. Which, in many ways, was not pretty if you were on the wrong end of it.

So, a mirror of Che Guevara has a profound place in my house. I’m not the least bit ashamed to say that. When I go to wash my hands, I look at Che.

No comments:

Post a Comment