Tuesday 12 March 2013

Essential Covers for Baby Boomers

What are the top covers of the essential baby boomer.

According to Rolling Stone Jimi Hendricks takes first place. Also the Byrds and George Harrison have entries that would be on most lists.

My top ten can all be found on two fantastic albums. The 30th anniversary concert, and the amnesty international Chimes of Freedom. I have to admit entry to the 30th was immediate but it took some time for me to warm to the Amnesty.

1) John Cougar Melloncamp - Like a Rolling Stone. He Cougars it but it still sounds like a Dylan song. No video available but listen here.

2)Tracy Chapman-The times are a changing. Totally could have been a Tracy song. I love her music, and its surprising how much Fiest sounds like her.

3)I shall be Released- Chrissy Hynde. Could have been the B side of 2000 miles,


4) When the Ship Come in - The Clancy Brothers. I never realized how much Celtic influence this genre had on Dylan till I heard this song.


5)Desolation Row - My Chemical Romance.  Punked up speed version that rocks. Video rocks as well.


6)The times are a Changing - Flogging Molly. Celtic Dylan done right.


7)tonite I will be staying here with you- Sugarland. rarely does a cover exceed the orginal, this is one.


8) Property of Jesus - Sinad Oconner. It sounds nothing like Dylan.


9) I'll remember you - Thea Gillmore. A pure Dylan version. After hearing this you will be looking for more of her stuff.

10) I want you -Ximena Sarifia. A childlike cover


Special Achievement) Masters of War - Pearl Jam. Recommended by super fan #29. For me the pace is to slow and Eddie Vender wails to much.


Edie Brickell also deserves mention. I never realized she is Paul Simons Wife!

5 comments:

  1. Good list steve!

    However, it is totally voided by your exclusion of the PJ's Ed and Mike doing Masters of War at the 30th. It was the highlight of the show

    Fun fact - Canadian Sue Medley is one of John Mellenhead's backup singers on LARS. She really nails her duet verse. Related fun fact - I once saw Sue Medley open for Dylan at CEPSUM at Universite de Montreal. Late 80's I think. Amazing show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added it in, its a great performance, but standing alone as a song on Itunes, its not going to crack my top ten.

      Delete
    2. Thx!

      Saying Ed wails too much is like saying you comment too much on blogs. It's what he does! :)

      Delete
    3. He was holding the end notes to long, I am not a huge PJ fan but Daughter, is one of my three favorite driving songs along with Zombies by the Cranberries, and She talks to Angels, by Blackcrows.

      Delete
    4. Good songs all. Speaking of, one of the best shows I ever saw was Black Crowes at the Verdun Auditorium. The cloud of weed smoke in there was so amazing. So, uh, what I remember was very good, I think.

      Delete