Tuesday 23 December 2014

A new Master of Alternative History


What is science fiction what is fantasy and what is alternative history? Sure they are all in the same bag. John Birmingham writes novels like Tom Clancy or Robert Ludlum, with the exception he is a liberal, and his literally battlefield is clear of the blah blah blah by using a tool of extant change to express his opinions. I have to mention the Harry Turtledove who pushes out fiction like Oprah does good wishes.

I day ago I finished his second trilogy. This is false advertising because it was really only one book split into three parts. 

There are many problems in this world and Birmingham asks the reader 
what would happen if most the USA just ceased to exist? What would the world look like?

The world he creates is very plausible and the characters that tell the story
should be in a cinema near you big time. I would never accuse an author of writing a book as a screenplay but Birmingham's prose screams film me.

I put 30 hours of my life into living John Birmingham's world. It was a rewarding piece of time. I am in my fifties and the first science fiction book I read I can not remember. The ones that stand out are the Ray Bradbury R is for Rocket and S is for Space. Am I the greatest reader of science fiction of all time, well I like to think so. As an aside Peter F Hamilton has the hot hand right now.

I read his first Trilogy Axis of time as the books came out. This one was kind of a surprise.  Wow a new trilogy and all in print and available for free at my local library (through inter library loans at the highest level) I had a very fixed time to read these three 600 page each suckers. I did it in thirty hours and never stayed up past two.

Every author of intelligence is trying to tell you something they think you need to know. Some just puke on your lap with smelly things that we eat daily. Birmingham who must be stewing at home being ruled by Tony Abott wants us to make good choices, like his characters do. What is right about them is they are all conflicted. There is no black and white. Hero's can be villains as long as they have a moral compass that makes little wrongs fourm great rights.

So my Hats off once again to John Birmingham. If I had a million dollars his first works would already be in film.  I love Game of Thrones but compared to what Birmingham offers its dated.

Do not read these books before you read the axis of time. You will see a progression of page turning dynamic.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, look forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. or, uh, reading these "three", or whatever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After you finish tell me did it color your view of modern Islam? The big message I got from this series is we should be taking Islam way more seriously. I have this rose colored view of my experience in Malaysia and Indonesia. Maybe I have been niaive?

      Delete